MMMMM, MMMMMM Good

|
OK gang, it's once again for another favorite recipe. As with all the recipes that I will put on this blog, I personally substitute ground turkey or ground chicken for any beef recipe. It's better for you and I swear you can not tell a difference. I haven't ate hamburger at home for going on 3 or 4 years now, and the last time I had a burger at a restaurant, I thought it was disgusting. But me still loves a nice beef filet or NY strip, mmmmmm I am drooling here, lol.

So without further ado....I present to you....(this recipe makes a HUGE batch, but is totally freezer friendly)

Green Pepper Soup

2 lbs hamburger (I use turkey burger)
1 lg can tomato juice
2 cups green peppers
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 medium onion
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 cups dry rice (I use whole wheat rice, cook it according to directions and add to soup)
red pepper flakes as desired for hotness (small palm-full is just right - soup result is not hot at all)
2 cans beef broth (I use Swanson fat-free reduced sodium chicken stock)
salt/pepper to taste
2-3 cups small chopped cabbage (totally optional)

Brown the meat of choice in skillet and add to a crock-pot along with all ingredients EXCEPT the rice. Depending on the type of rice used, I personally love whole wheat rice, cook according to instructions and add to crock-pot.

Let this soup simmer a couple hours till the ingredients have a chance to come together and fully cook. Serve in a bowl and...Do a little dollop, a little dollop of Daisey....sour cream that is. (Don't know if that is a national brand and commercial???)

Once again I use the lite version. NOT THE FAT FREE VERSION, that crappage is horrible.

There are certain things that you just can not use that are FAT FREE....sour cream, mayo, butter, ice cream.......those things just are not right. I think they were actually a lab experiment that went HORRIBLY wrong.

Some of you may have seen this recipe before on my other blog, but it is so delicious and good for you, I felt I needed to share it again.

peace/out

~Y~

1 comment:

Lemuel said...

I must agree on the "lab experiment that went horribly wrong"!